Latest Badminton News and Articles

Korean juniors shine at world meet (pic)

Category: Badminton News
Published: 04 November 2013
Written by BadmintonPlanet.com Hits: 415

KUALA LUMPUR: South Korea stole the show in the World Junior Championships at Bangkok on Sunday when they smashed their way to two titles.
The unexpected victory came in the boys' singles when Heo Kwang-hee outclassed Taiwanese Wang Tzu-wei 21-11, 21-12 to end the country's seven-year wait for the boys' singles title.

Hong Ji-hoon is the last Korean to win the title in 2006. Usually, the singles event is dominated by China.

South Korea however continued to show their prowess in the girls' doubles when Chae Yoo-jung-Kim Ji-won nicked the title by beating the favourites Chen Qingchen-He Jiaxin of China 21-19, 21-15.

China also lost their invisibility in the girls' singles when none made it to the final. In fact, in an all-Japanese final, Akane Yamaguchi defeated Aya Ohori 21-11, 21-13 for the title.

She defended the title won by Nozomi Okuhara last year in Chiba, Japan.

 

Malaysia wiped out of World Juniors (pic)

Category: Badminton News
Published: 01 November 2013
Written by BadmintonPlanet.com Hits: 585

KUALA LUMPUR: Malaysia's challenge came to a grinding halt in the World Junior Championships in Bangkok with the defeats of Soong Joo Ven and Darren Isaac Devadass-Ong Yew Sing on Friday.

The 18-year-old Joo Ven ran out of steam, losing 21-11, 13-21, 10-21 to Taiwanese Wang Tzu-wei in the boys' singles quarter-final match which lasted 49 minutes.

Joo Ven was disappointed that he could not bid farewell to his final junior tournament with a flourishing end. Darren Isaac Devadass-Ong Yew Sin in a file photo. The pair lost to Taiwan's Tien Tzu-chieh-Wang Chi-lin 18-21, 21-15, 19-21 in the boys' doubles quarter-finals.

“I started well in the opening game but my attacking game went off course and I could not get the results I wanted,” he lamented.

“I am very upset with my defeat today because I really had a good chance against my opponent. I apologise for letting everyone down – especially my parents and friends, who have been very supportive.

“Now, I will turn my attention to the senior squad. It will be tougher, but I am ready to go the extra mile to become better,” he added.

Read more ...
 

No rest for weary Chong Wei (pic)

Category: Badminton News
Published: 01 November 2013
Written by BadmintonPlanet.com Hits: 505

KUALA LUMPUR: Three more tournaments within one month.

That is world No. 1 Lee Chong Wei’s commitment for this year as he seeks to end this season on a high note at the China Open in Shanghai from Nov 12-17, Hong Kong Open in Kowloon from Nov 19-24 and the Super Series Finals from Dec 11-15 in Kuala Lumpur.

“If given a choice, I would like to rest. I am however not in a situation to do so. I have been entered for the back-to-back China and Hong Kong Opens. As for the Finals, I am left with no choice but to play because it is held at home,” said Chong Wei. Lee Chong Wei seen here giving young kids a coaching clinic in this filepic. The world No.1 shuttler would love to have a longer break after returning from his European swing but he has been entered for the back-to-back China and Hong Kong Opens beginning 12 November.

It would be complete folly to expect Chong Wei to peak in all three tournaments but the Malaysian has vowed to give his best.

“I have just returned from Europe and have not even recovered from my jet lag. I started light training yesterday (Wednesday). My main focus right now is to do well in the back-to-back China and Hong Kong Opens,” he said.

He is looking for quick redemption against China’s Chen Long in the China Open, which is a Super Series Premier. It is compulsory for the top 10 players in the world to play in China.

Read more ...
 

Chong Wei: We can't win Thomas Cup (pic)

Category: Badminton News
Published: 01 November 2013
Written by BadmintonPlanet.com Hits: 418

PETALING JAYA: It could be lights out for Malaysia in the Thomas Cup Finals in India next year – judging by the recent performances of the national shuttlers.

With just six months to go before the Finals, world No. 1 Lee Chong Wei believes that Malaysia are not prepared for the prestigious team event in New Delhi next May based on two factors – the inconsistent performances of the men’s singles shuttlers and the lack of depth in men’s doubles.Years gone by. Will Malaysia be able to win the Thomas Cup again in the near future after our last triumph in 1992, considering the players we have in the national team at the moment?

“I don’t think we are ready for the Thomas Cup Finals,” said Chong Wei without flinching when asked to assess Malaysia’s strength as a team based on the players’ performances this year.

At the recent back-to-back Opens in Denmark and France, singles shuttlers Liew Daren and Chong Wei Feng sank into oblivion as they made early exits.

Read more ...
 

Chong Wei targets majors PLAN: Will push for titles, not World No 1 ranking in 2014

Category: Badminton News
Published: 01 November 2013
Written by BadmintonPlanet.com Hits: 356

LEE Chong Wei's priority is not the World No 1 ranking but victories in the major events next year.

Chong Wei also believes his current form should not be taken as a yardstick as his performance towards the end of a season has never been good.

Despite that, Chong Wei will still compete in the China (Nov 12-17) and Hong Kong (Nov 19-24) Opens due to sponsorship obligations and will also play in the season ending Super Series Finals on Dec 11-15 as Malaysia is hosting for the event.

Chong Wei has always enjoyed his best form early in a season where he has won the Malaysia and Korea Opens on several occasions and expects another good start before he targets next year's major events.

Read more ...
 

Facebook

Twitter

Google Plus

Replays: China Open 2015

2015 China Open Badminton Videos

Watch Replays

Related Badminton News

Recommended badminton news for you