Latest Badminton News and Articles

Rising Indonesian Badminton Star Takes it to Next Level

1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
Category: Badminton News
Published: 09 March 2010
Written by BadmintonPlanet.com Hits: 568

Dionisius Hayom Rumbaka will open two new chapters in his career when he starts play at the All England Super Series.

Having been touted as one of Indonesia’s rising stars in men’s singles, the 22-year-old initially rejected a pair of call-ups to the national camp before finally signing on in January. Now he makes his national team debut in badminton’s most prestigious championship.

“I had to drop the first two proposals because I thought I was not ready to join the national team. I thought I wasn’t good enough to accept the offer,” Dionisius told the Jakarta Globe. “But now I’m ready as I have been improving and also have a better world rank now.”

 

Malaysia's Lee Chong Wei unfazed by All England badminton draw (pic)

1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
Category: Badminton News
Published: 25 February 2010
Written by BadmintonPlanet.com Hits: 712

Malaysia's Lee Chong Wei, the world No 1, is unfazed over who he will face in the upcoming All England Badminton Championships, preferring to focus on his preparation for the oldest tournament in the sport.

Top seed Chong Wei, who lost to Lin Dan in last year’s final when China took all five titles, begins his title bid against India’s Chetan Anand with the Malaysian likely to meet Sony Dwi Kuncoro of Indonesia in the second round. Top seed: Malaysia's Lee Chong Wei is men's No 1 seed

Ahead of the 100th edition in Birmingham, which starts on March 9, he said: "What is important is to make the best preparation, whether physically or mentally.

"I don't think of defeat. I don't really think of my opponent, whether Sony Dwi Koncoro from Indonesia in the quarter-final or Lin Dan in the final.

 

Coach Hendrawan believes his charge can be a champ again (pic)

1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
Category: Badminton News
Published: 25 February 2010
Written by BadmintonPlanet.com Hits: 601

PETALING JAYA: The stage is set for men’s singles shuttler Mohd Hafiz Hashim to be a champion again.

And national coach Hendrawan wants Hafiz to be brave enough to seize the opportunity at the German Open, which will be held in Mulheim from March 2-7.Money as promised: Datin Seri Rosmah Mansor receiving a mock cheque from Iris Corporation Berhad managing director Datuk Tan Say Jim at a luncheon in Putrajaya yesterday. Looking on are (from left) Lee Chong Wei, Datuk Razali Ibrahim, Tan Boon Heong and Koo Kien Keat.

A good outing in Germany should give Hafiz the confidence to face tougher challenges in the All-Eng­land at Birmingham from March 9-14.

Hafiz, who last won a title at the Philippines Open in 2006, is seeded eighth in the German Open and, barring any upsets, should make his way to the quarter-finals, at least.

He is in the lower half of the draw with second seed Chen Long of China, Taiwan’s Hsieh Yu-hsing (fifth seed) and three European trouble-makers – Germany’s Marc Zwiebler (fourth), England’s Andrew Smith (ninth) and Poland’s Wacha Przemyslaw (13th).

 

Debut Regional Project in Turkey

1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
Category: Badminton News
Published: 25 February 2010
Written by BadmintonPlanet.com Hits: 1014

From the 15 – 21 February, the Turkish Badminton Federation successfully held their first Badminton Europe supported Regional Project activity in Istanbul. The aim of the project was the development of U13 and U15 badminton players from 5 different countries from the southeast of Europe. After the training camp, the young players participated in the Turkiye Junior International tournament.

Organised by the Turkish Federation, the training camp included participants from Bulgaria, Macedonia, Serbia and Romania. All together, there have been 46 players and 12 coaches. Two instructors have guided them: Tan Phick Eng from Malaysia and the Turkish Hakan Avci. Together they successfully presented different basic techniques and tactics to all participants.

 
Read More Comment (0) Hits: 1014

Young shuttlers battle for glory in Penang (pic)

1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
Category: Badminton News
Published: 25 February 2010
Written by BadmintonPlanet.com Hits: 1127

GEORGE TOWN: A total of 270 young shuttlers will battle it out for supremacy in the opening leg of the 100PLUS National Junior Badminton Circuit Zone A competition at the PBA Hall in Bukit Dumbar here today.

The Penang BA (PBA), who last hosted the tournament in 2005, have divided the boys and girls into four categories – Under-12, Under-14, Under-16 and Under-18.Kuala Lumpur’s Ho Yen Mei

PBA secretary Tony Tan Gim Hin said the four-day competition would involve youngsters from six states – Penang, Perlis, Kedah, Perak, Kelantan and Kuala Lumpur.

“Many of the players are un­­known quantities. But with talent scouts sure to be present at the tournament, the shuttlers will definitely be giving their best so that they can be recruited into the sports schools,” he said.

“As such, we can expect an exciting tournament.”

 
Read More Comment (0) Hits: 1127

Facebook

Twitter

Google Plus

Replays: Hong Kong Open 2014

2014 Hong Kong Open Badminton videos

Watch Replays

Related Badminton News

  • Recent News
  • Popular
Lin Dan, Lee Chong Wei at Thailand's Glory to the King badminton (video)

Bangkok: Even though Lee Chong Wei is he is serving a provis

Chen Long & Zhao Yunlei are 2014 BWF player of the year

Dubai: Chen Long and Zhao Yunlei of China won the 2014 best

Lin Dan pulls out of Hong Kong Open

Hong Kong: Lin Dan arrived in Hong Kong on Monday, a day bef

Video: Badminton is the most "dangerous" sport on earth

Hanoi: Thanks to the quick work of a match referee, no-one w

The love story of Derek Wong and Vanessa Neo

By Cheryl Tay The love story of Singapore badminton players

Carolina Marin Receives Sport Merit Royal Order

Madrid: The winner of 2014 BWF Badminton World Championships