Latest Badminton News and Articles

India Open: Time Indian badminton stars performed at home

1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
Category: Badminton News
Published: 09 June 2010
Posted by BadmintonPlanet.com Hits: 748

 Seven times All-England champion Erland Kops had once remarked that there was no home ground for a champion and India's best hope, Saina Nehwal would do well to bear this in mind ahead of the $120,000 Yonex-Sunrise India Open Grand Prix commencing here Tuesday with qualifying rounds in women's singles.

For all her achievements, including attaining No.6 World ranking, Saina is yet to come good on home courts in a major international event. She had her chances last during the Indian Open and the World championships, but couldn't quite ascend the top step of the podium.

Kops' statement was in the context of a true champion having to perform and win be it at a hostile foreign venue or on a friendly home court. 'For a champion, there is nothing called a home ground. You need to perform against any opposition and in any condition. That is the hallmark of a true champion,' the legendary Dane had said.

Saina's major home success was at the Syed Modi Indian Grand Prix in December last, but faced no opposition and defeated compatriot Aditi Mutatkar, who is seeded third this time, in the final.

Going into the Grand Prix this week, Saina will be again under pressure to deliver in front of a home crowd that would be rooting for the top seed and also her counterpart Chetan Anand who heads the men's singles field.

 

Anthony Clark boosts England squad for badminton's Super Series encounters (pic)

1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
Category: Badminton News
Published: 09 June 2010
Posted by BadmintonPlanet.com Hits: 747

Anthony Clark, England's experienced doubles specialist, has given his partners a boost ahead of the Asian Super Series legs after being included in the squad for next week's action.

Clark, whose All England and European Badminton  Championship challenge was cut short by back and leg problems, will resume his new mixed doubles partnership with Heather Olver as well as his successful men’s pairing with Nathan Robertson.Success: Anthony Clark and Heather Olver's form has improved

Clark and Robertson won last year’s Singapore event to give England their first Super Series title and the veteran internationals will at least have the chance to retain their title.

Andy Wood, Head of Technical Development and Olympic Team Leader, said: “Anthony is doing really well in his rehab period from injury. The medical support team at Milton Keynes and at Loughborough University have been doing an exceptional job. He feels stronger and rejuvenated for his time out.

“Although far from match sharp, it will be a good yardstick for him. He is itching to get back into a competitive tournament environment and wishes to thank those around him for all their support in his recovery.”

Clark and Robertson will lead the England men’s doubles challenge and will be joined by Robert Blair and Chris Adcock and Peter Mills and Marcus Ellis. All three pairs will also tackle the Indonesian Open.

England have two pairs in the women’s doubles at both Super Series events with Jenny Wallwork and Gabrielle White competing along with European bronze medallists Olver and Mariana Agathangelou.

England also have four mixed doubles pairs in contention in Singapore and Indonesia with European bronze medallists Robertson and Wallwork joined by Clark and Olver, Blair and White and Ellis and Agathangelou.

European bronze medallist Rajiv Ouseph, Carl Baxter and Andrew Smith will contest the men’s singles in Singapore.

 

 
Comment (0) Hits: 747

Indonesia Open without Chinese Badminton Players

1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
Category: Badminton News
Published: 09 June 2010
Posted by BadmintonPlanet.com Hits: 979

TEMPO Interactive, Jakarta:The Super Series Djarum Indonesia Open, which will be held in Istora Senayan, Jakarta, 22-27 June, will not be attended by Chinese badminton players.

The Committee head of the Indonesia Open Handojo said that they were absent because they will participate in a domestic competition.

“Players from 30 countries will participate in the Indonesia Open. Badminton players from ranks 1-15 will come, except those from China. They are absent because they are following a tournament in their own country,” said Handojo.

The tournament participants will compete to obtain the total prize money of US$ 600.000 (Rp5.55 billion).

The price is higher than the previous prize which amounted to US$ 250.000.

There is a prize increase because the Indonesia Open will be categorized as the Premier Super Series tournament starting next year.

The Head of Indonesia Badminton Association (PBSI) Djoko Santoso said that there are two PBSI targets this year.

“The first target is to succeed in becoming a Premier Super Series next year. The second one is achievements,” he said.

PBSI hopes that Indonesia could become champion in men’s single, men’s double and mixed double.

 
Comment (0) Hits: 979

China's national coach puts domestic badminton league under scrutiny (pic)

1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
Category: Badminton News
Published: 01 June 2010
Posted by BadmintonPlanet.com Hits: 880

Li Yongbo, China's controversial national badminton coach, is concerned that a new domestic league may hurt the country's success in international competition.

The China Badminton  Super League was launched last weekend in an attempt to fulfil a government directive that sport should become more commercial and play a greater role in generating revenue for the economy.Happy days: China celebrate Thomas Cup win in Malaysia

Last year England's Nathan Robertson revealed to Telegraph Sport that he and Anthony Clark had been sounded out to play in China's lucrative club league, which was suspended in 2002 due to cash shortages. The duo turned down the offer due to scheduling.
"The national team players have to sacrifice a lot in order to play in the (league)," Li said. "I'm really worried about that.

"Personally, I'm not sure if the league is of value to the national squad," he added.

 

Better next time

1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
Category: Badminton News
Published: 17 May 2010
Posted by BadmintonPlanet.com Hits: 1094

Nothing is impossible in sports and the Korean girls proved it by ousting defending champion China 3-1 in the just-concluded Uber Cup final in Kuala Lumpur. Playing as the underdog, South Korea fought its best to foil China’s ambition in taking home the Uber Cup for the 13th time, winning the coveted trophy for the first time.

It was a different fate, unfortunately, for Indonesia’s Thomas Cup team who bowed out to defending champion China. The national team’s ambition to repeat the sweet success at Putra Stadium in Bukit Jalil, Kuala Lumpur, dashed after Taufik Hidayat and teammates lost 0-3.

Reaching the final stage, however, was progress for Indonesia’s Thomas Cup team. It had failed in the semifinals three consecutive times.

The last time Indonesia won the Thomas Cup was in 2002 in Guangzhou, China, defeating Malaysia to craft history as the country with the most victories at the event with 13 wins since 1958, including five consecutive wins from 1994.

 
Read More Comment (0) Hits: 1094

Facebook

Twitter

Google Plus

Replays: India Open 2015

2015 India Open Badminton Videos

Watch Replays

Related Badminton News

  • Recent News
  • Popular
Lee Chong Wei's timely donation saves the life of a 6-month-old baby

Kuala Lumpur: Lee Chong Wei who has been actively involved i

Morten Frost: coaches leave for better offers

Kuala Lumpur: Technical director of the Badminton Associatio

Iskandar Zulkarnain loses in Austrian Open final after receives red card

Wien: When Iskandar Zulkarnain was shown probably the most c

Lin Dan joins torch relay for 2014 Youth Olympics

Nanjing: Two times Olympic gold medalist Lin Dan was one of

Carolina Marin Receives Sport Merit Royal Order

Madrid: The winner of 2014 BWF Badminton World Championships

Video: Badminton is the most "dangerous" sport on earth

Hanoi: Thanks to the quick work of a match referee, no-one w

Recommended badminton news for you