Latest Badminton News and Articles

Venue not fit to hold badminton tournament (pic)

Category: Badminton News
Published: 31 December 2013
Written by Hits: 14915

PUTRAJAYA: National singles shuttler Chong Wei Feng won his opening group match in the Maybank National Grand Prix Finals at Precinct 11 Sports Complex here on Friday but he was not jumping in joy.

He felt that the new venue was not an ideal place to host the tournament.National singles shuttler, Chong Wei Feng said the air-conditioning in the sports hall is affecting the players' game in the on-going National Grand Prix Finals in Putrajaya.

“I can’t help but feel disappointed. The venue is not conducive for a big event like this. Can you imagine that the cool air from the air-conditioners was aimed directly at us from above. It affected the flow of the shuttle,” said Wei Feng after beating R. Satheishtharan 25-27, 21-12, 21-8 in his first Group A match.

“The quality of the match is affected. I hope that the hosts will, at least, switch off the air conditioner for the next few days.

“The hall can hardly fit three courts. My team-mate Iskandar (Zulkarnain Zainuddin)’s court was so close to the wall that it affected his play. This is the national championships and I wished it would have been held at a bigger place.

Read more ...

Interview with India's badminton star PV Sindhu: I would like to finish among the top six in 2014 (pic)

Category: Badminton News
Published: 30 December 2013
Written by Hits: 6423

Only 18, PV Sindhu is pushing the envelope like no teenage badminton player had done before in the history of women’s badminton in India. After a sensational year both on and off the court, the teenager is busy preparing for another action packed season.PV Sindhu

Sindhu shall kickoff 2014, traveling to Kuala Lumpur for the Maybank Malaysia Open that starts on Sankranti day. Soon as she is back in India, Lucknow beckons as the Syed Modi Indian Open is scheduled for the week immediately after the event in Malaysia.

Here are some excerpts from the conversation with Sindhu -

Read more ...

Wei Feng gets it right second time around (pic)

Category: Badminton News
Published: 30 December 2013
Written by Hits: 4743

PUTRAJAYA: It came a year late but Chong Wei Feng was still over the moon after emerging as the national men’s singles champion for the first time.

On Monday, the 26-year-old Wei Feng went on the attack from the start to beat former international Tan Chun Seang 21-14, 21-9 in the final of the National Grand Prix Finals at the Precinct 11 Sports Complex. Newly crowned National Grand Prix Finals men's singles champion, Chong Wei Feng (right), showing off the mock cheque for RM7,000. He beat Tan Chun Seang in the final in Putrajaya on Monday.

“I should have won it last year when (Lee) Chong Wei skipped the local tournament. Instead, I lost to Misbun Ramdan (Misbun) in the final,” said Wei Feng.

Read more ...

Peng Soon: Show us the money (pic)

Category: Badminton News
Published: 30 December 2013
Written by Hits: 8177

PUTRAJAYA: Chan Peng Soon had two reasons to be upset on Monday.

First, he was unhappy with the prize money given to the mixed doubles winners in the National Grand Prix Finals at the Precinct 11 Sports Complex.

Peng Soon and his scratch partner Lai Pei Jing received only RM1,600 each after winning the title. Mixed doubles player, Chan Peng Soon (right), seen here with partner Lai Pei Jing after winning the National Grand Prix Finals title on Monday in Putrajaya, is unhappy with the prize money distribution at the meet. The mixed doubles champions get the least amount at only RM1,600 each.

They were declared winners after their opponents Ong Jian Guo-Lim Yin Loo conceded a walkover following Jian Guo’s back injury.

Peng Soon said the prize distribution was unfair and hoped the organisers would review it and alleviate the status of the National GP Finals.

The men’s doubles champions took home RM11,000 (RM5,500 each) while the women’s doubles received RM4,800 (RM2,400 each). The men’s singles winner collected RM7,000 while the women’s singles champion was given RM4,000.

Read more ...

Koo-Tan to skip Korean Open

Category: Badminton News
Published: 30 December 2013
Written by Hits: 2910

PUTRAJAYA: The woeful run of Koo Kien Keat and Tan Boon Heong continues.

On Friday, national doubles coach Pang Cheh Chang said Boon Heong was down with viral fever and it would take some time for him to recover. And Cheh Chang has withdrawn their names from the Korean Open in Seoul from Jan 8-13.

The duo also did not take part in the BWF’s Super Series Finals this month because Kien Keat suffered an eye infection.

“Kien Keat is well and good and is back in training but the problem now is with Boon Heong,” said Cheh Chang during the ongoing National Grand Prix Finals at Precinct 11 Sport Complex on Friday.

“Boon Heong had high fever and there were rashes all over his body. He was admitted in hospital for three days. Doctors said that it will take some time to recover.

Read more ...



Google Plus

Replays: Malaysia Open 2016

Badminton Videos for 2016 malaysia open

Watch Replays

Related Badminton News

Recommended badminton news for you