Latest Badminton News and Articles

BAM's decisions only raise more questions

Category: Badminton News
Published: 21 September 2012
Written by Hits: 915

THE BA of Malaysia (BAM) is known for being lenient with players but it may have made a grave error in believing men's doubles Koo Kien Keat-Tan Boon Heong have what it takes to do well on the international scene, let alone win the World Championships title, in the next 12 months.

President Datuk Seri Nadzmi Salleh, in justifying the decision not to split the pair, said time and much money had been spent on them and felt that the investment would be repaid by the pair in next August's World Championships.

What Nadzmi missed out on was the fact that the additional funding that will be spent on Kien Keat-Boon Heong could well be utilised on the rising young pairs or on the new combination of Boon Heong-Goh V Shem, who have the potential to strike at the 2016 Olympics.

BAM has bent backwards numerous times to accommodate Kien Keat-Boon Heong, including their request for a change of coach when they fell out with Rexy Mainaky.

Read more ...

Tien Minh goes straight into the quarter-finals of Open Japan (pic)

Category: Badminton News
Published: 21 September 2012
Written by Hits: 1025
Nguyen Tien Minh continued his journey at the Japan Open Badminton Tournament by the second win over a young player from Malaysia - Daren Liew.

This was the second time in a month Minh faced Liew. Last time, he defeated the Malaysian rival at the Vietnam Open in August. Last year he passed Liew in the tournament at his home.On the morning of September 20, Vietnam’s No. 1 badminton player Nguyen Tien Minh excluded his Malaysian rival Daren Liew in a tough match in round 2 of the Japan Open.

But the victory did not come easily to Tien Minh in his match yesterday. He encountered strong resistance from Daren Liew.

In this battle, Liew had very effective smashes. He had up to 21 points from smashes while Tien Minh had only 13 points from smashes. The smash shots helped Liew to get balance in the second set with the close score 23-21.
Read more ...

Winning start for Chong Wei (pic)

Category: Badminton News
Published: 20 September 2012
Written by Hits: 962

LEE Chong Wei eased into competition mode again after the London Olympics with a flourish while Liew Daren and Chong Wei Feng also had impressive starts in the Japan Open in Tokyo yesterday.

Chong Wei thrashed Anand Pawar of India 21-13, 21-9 in 31 minutes and will meet Viktor Axelsen of Denmark, who overcame Suppanyu Avihingsanon of Thailand 21-13, 19-21, 21-19, in the second round today.Winning start for Chong Wei

Daren was forced to work hard for his 17-21, 21-15, 22-20 win over Sai Praneet of India and plays Nguyen Tien Minh of Vietnam, who defeated Frenchman Brice Leverdez 21-19, 21-19 next.

Wei Feng upset fifth seed Kenichi Tago of Japan 8-21, 21-16, 21-17 and will have a quarter-final showdown with Chong Wei if he overcomes Ajay Jayaram of India today.

Read more ...

Hidayat to call it quits next year (pic)

Category: Badminton News
Published: 20 September 2012
Written by Hits: 858

TOKYO - Athens Olympic gold medallist Taufik Hidayat revealed Thursday that he will retire next year, as he reached the quarter-finals at the Japan Open.

"After the (London) Olympics, I decided to play 10 more tournaments and this is the first one. I will retire after the Indonesian Open next year," said the Indonesian seventh seed after beating Japan's Akira Koga 21-11, 21-10.

Hidayat, 31, who has yet to win a title this season, added: "I'm satisfied that I can still compete in a big tournament like this.

"For sure I haven't won this tournament, but I reached the final three times before. I know I have a better chance because of the withdrawals of the Chinese players, but I'm not in my best form.

"I'm going to try to take my chances as far as possible and get the best possible result in my last Japan Open."

Hidayat remained on course for a probable semi-final encounter against top-seeded Lee Chong Wei of Malaysia, who whipped Victor Axelsen of Denmark 21-10, 21-12.

Read more ...

Badminton-Big deal for Nehwal underlines sport's growth in India

Category: Badminton News
Published: 20 September 2012
Written by Hits: 1108

Top Indian shuttler Saina Nehwal has signed a three-year deal worth a reported $7.4 million with a sports management company, underlining badminton's growth in the otherwise cricket-crazy country.

The only non-Chinese in the top five of women's badminton, Nehwal won a bronze in this year's London Olympics and capped the celebrations by signing a contract with Rhiti Sports that makes her India's highest paid sportsperson outside cricket.

"With Rhiti's background and credibility, they know how to balance things and that is a big plus point," Nehwal said in a media release.

According to Wednesday's Indian Express newspaper, the three-year deal with the company which also manages Indian cricket captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni is worth 400 million Indian rupees.

"We're very thrilled with the base amount and it's an honour since she's the first non-cricket athlete they've taken on," Nehwal's father Harvir Singh told the newspaper.

"We are proud to be associated with someone who is not only a youth icon for women in the country but has also done a lot for badminton as a sport," said Arun Pandey, chairman and managing director of Rhiti Sports.

"She has placed India on the world map for badminton and changed the outlook of people in India towards the sport."

($1 = 54.055 Indian rupees)




Google Plus

Replays: Malaysia Open 2016

Badminton Videos for 2016 malaysia open

Watch Replays

Related Badminton News

Recommended badminton news for you