Copenhagen: Four days after finishing as the new World Champion at the BWF World Championships in Glasgow, Scotland, Viktor Axelsen of Denmark who climbed one spot to World No. 2 in the latest BWF world ranking, announced Thursday that he has withdrawn from the Korean Open that will be held in Seoul, from September 12 to September 17.
Axelsen said he needed more rest following his winning run in Glasgow.
“As a world champion, I already secured a place at the Dubai finals, and I don’t have to play in too many tournaments to collect points for the Dubai rankings. For now, my priority is to get some rest and stay healthy,” said Axelsen.
Instead, Axelsen turned his focus on the next tournament after Korea Open, which is the Japan Open Superseries.
Viktor Axelsen has learned last year that he was having trouble getting his body back on track after winning Olympic bronze in Rio. He tried to avoid the same situation by taking a break after this year’s World Championships.
“I am ready to take on the challenges and to stay on top. I’ll continue to improve my physical and mental toughness,” added Axelsen.
Fortunately, badminton fans are going to see some action from Axelsen pretty soon after all.
“I got really motivated specially after winning big tournaments such as World Championships, I am not going to take a long holiday, I just need some rest to get my body and fitness back.”