Razif raring to go after layoff (pic)
Written by Badminton News
Saturday, 04 July 2009 21:24
RAZIF Latif, after being cleared of the Influenza A (H1N1) virus, is shifting his focus on preparing for the World Championships in Hyderabad, India on Aug 10-16.
Razif and Woon Khe Wei are among the four mixed doubles pairs selected for the tournament.
They are under no illusions about winning the world meet but the duo, who were paired off in January, hope it will be a breakthrough tournament for better things ahead.
"We were not expecting it as it was a toss between us and another local pair. I still can't believe that I will be making my world meet debut," said Razif yesterday.
Razif feels that he and Khe Wei are good for the quarter-finals if they prepare well.
He said their two main weaknesses are on-court understanding and focus during matches.
"We still don't have the self-belief of winning against top pairs. We are good starters but end up losing focus during crucial stages of matches.
"This is something we will concentrate on ahead of the world meet. I hope the world meet will be a breakthrough tournament for bigger things," Razif said.
Razif feared the worst when he was down with high fever, a symptom of H1N1, upon returning from last week's Malaysia Open Grand Prix Gold in Johor Baru.
He was put under observation at the Serdang Hospital and missed four days of training.
However, the 24-year-old was given a clean bill of health on Friday and returned to training in Bukit Kiara yesterday.
Razif will be joined by his brother Zakry, who plays men's doubles, at the world meet.
"Of course, it is nice to have an older brother with you. He has been pushing me hard of late and it has paid dividends," added Razif.
Razif-Khe Wei, the world No 78, have yet to make an impact in international tournaments. Their only claim to fame was reaching the semi-finals of the Pahang Open two months ago.