Kuala Lumpur: Malaysian badminton superstar Lee Chong Wei has decided to delay his much anticipated return to the court as his doctors would like him to take things slow.
The former World No. 1 told Malaysian media that he recently flew to Taiwan during the Christmas holiday for a follow-up visit with his doctors, and was given the green light to begin some light training.
Although Lee was originally set to return at the 2019 All England that will be held in Birmingham from March 6 to March 10, but he felt he needed more time to prepare himself for the tournaments. Currently, he planned to return at his favorite tournament – the Malaysia Open that will be held from April 2nd to April 7th. Lee beat World No. 1 Japanese shuttler Kento Momota 21-17, 23-21 in last year’s final to grab the Malaysia Open title for a historic twelfth time.
“Last year, I won the Malaysia Open for the 12th time before I got sick. I am looking forward to a fresh start here. I also hope that my ranking will not decline further (Lee was ranked World No. 28 in the last week of 2018). I am also considering participating in the Nanning Sudirman Cup tournament (May 19-26). This will be the first major event that offers Olympic points,” said Lee.
Lee also share some updates with the media on his health status after his recent visit to Taiwan.
“I was a little worried when I went to Taiwan during the Christmas holiday. I had to go through another round of scans and blood tests. Fortunately, the results were encouraging and the cancer did not come back. Doctors have given me the green light to start training, but unfortunately, I still can’t exercise intensely. I can only use about 30% of my physical strength. But it doesn’t matter, it is still a good start. After the Lunar New Year holiday, I will return to Taiwan for a follow-up visit and let the doctor decide whether it can fully resume my training,” said Lee.
BadmintonPlanet would like to wish Lee Chong Wei and his family a joyful, bright, healthy and happiest new year ahead!