Kuala Lumpur: Malaysia’s badminton legend Lee Chong Wei has confirmed on Friday that he didn’t intend to announce his retirement after the Hari Raya celebration.
His remarks followed reports from Malaysian media earlier this week that Lee would meet with the Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) next week and would call it quits after his discussion with BAM.
“No, no. I haven’t made any decision yet,” clarified Lee to Malaysian media.
“I haven’t discussed my intention to retire to BAM. If I decide to retire or make other decisions, I will inform the media myself and no one can speak for me,” said Lee.
The president of BAM, Mohamad Norza Zakaria also said that the retirement rumors about the former world’s number one was not true. In fact, BAM will hold a meeting with Lee next week to understand what Lee would like to do in his career going forward.
“We will hold a joint meeting to get an understanding what Chong Wei’s plans are. It’s not about whether he will retire or not. The meeting is necessary because he has missed a lot of tournaments,” said Zakaria.
“If Chong Wei wants to continue we will give him all our support. If he has any other plans we will also look into those plans and whatever he decides, he can always count on us for support,” added Zakaria.