Latest Badminton News and Articles

Lift ban, pleads Tan

1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
Category: Badminton News Published: 18 September 2009
Written by BadmintonPlanet.com Hits: 994

KUALA LUMPUR: A shell-shocked Tan Chun Seang wants the Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) to lift the two-year ban on him so that he can continue to make a living from the game.

Yesterday, the distraught singles shuttler turned up at the BAM’s office here seeking an explanation on the ban, which was imposed by the national body after a coaching and training committee on Wednesday.

The BAM decided to tighten their rules in a bid to safeguard their programme as they had spent a lot of time, money and resources to develop Chun Seang into one of the top back-up shuttlers.

Chun Seang said he decided to quit because he had had enough of playing badminton – especially after going through a lean spell over the last two years.

He reiterated that his quit decision had nothing to do with Hendrawan’s move in leaving him out of next month’s Vietnam Open.

“I was shocked with BAM’s decision. I wanted to compete in smaller tournaments as well as the international meets held in Malaysia,” said the 23-year-old Chun Seang.

“I want to just enjoy the game and not go through the regimented training anymore.

“In fact, I had contemplated leaving earlier. But I decided to continue and give myself another shot at reviving my career under our new coach Hendrawan.”

Chung Seang’s best achievements since joining the BAM seven years ago were winning the International Challenge in Singapore and Vietnam in 2007. This year, he reached the quarter-finals of the India and Malaysian Open GP Gold.

“This year, I fared poorly in the Macau and Taiwan Opens (last month). I had hoped to get another chance to prove myself in the Vietnam Open but I was not selected. I was demoralised,” he said.

Chun Seang, who earns RM1,300 as a back-up shuttler, also admitted that it was challenging to live under a tight budget.

“I train hard and, naturally, I look forward to going for tournaments. I can earn extra money by competing in these tournaments but that too depends if I go far,” he said.

“BAM’s decision will affect my livelihood. I have sacrificed seven years with BAM and yet, when I leave, I am not assured of a job.

“I understand that the BAM want to take care of their programme but I hope they will also look into my plight – a player who has given his all in training for the last seven years. Hopefully, other players will not have to go through the same thing.”

  • No comments found

Facebook

Twitter

Google Plus

Replays: Hong Kong Open 2014

2014 Hong Kong Open Badminton videos

Watch Replays

  • Recent News
  • Popular
Sabah Open: Mak Hee Chun-Tan Bin Shen continues upset streak

Kuala Lumpur: After knocking second seeds Low Juan Shen-Ong

Support Lee Chong Wei

Lee Chong Wei is one of the greatest badminton players to ev

Saina Nehwal continues to thrive on Day 2 Dubai Superseries Finals

Dubai: World number four Saina Nehwal of India who got the b

Video: Badminton is the most "dangerous" sport on earth

Hanoi: Thanks to the quick work of a match referee, no-one w

The love story of Derek Wong and Vanessa Neo

By Cheryl Tay The love story of Singapore badminton players

Carolina Marin Receives Sport Merit Royal Order

Madrid: The winner of 2014 BWF Badminton World Championships