Mads Conrad-Petersen calls it quits

0
2362
Wish Mads Conrad-Petersen much success and happiness as he begins a new chapter in his life. (photo: Mads Conrad-Petersen's Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/mads.conradpetersen)
Wish Mads Conrad-Petersen much success and happiness as he begins a new chapter in his life. (photo: Mads Conrad-Petersen's Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/mads.conradpetersen)

Copenhagen: Denmark’s World No. 20 men’s doubles player, Mads Conrad-Petersen has decided to hang up his racquet after playing for Denmark’s national team since 2009.

Originally, badminton fans would probably see Petersen plays his last international tournament at home, during the Thomas Cup finals in Aarhus, from October 3 to October 11. Instead, he had decided to end his badminton career on Tuesday.

It happened because the 32-year-old Dane said on his Facebook page that he had been offered an opportunity that was too good to say no.

“All good things come an end and now is the best time for me to end my career. I want to say thanks to everyone who has helped me, cheered for me and have had a small part in my career. It is impossible to do alone and words can’t express my gratitude for your support❤️
So many friends around the world whom I hope to say goodbye to at Thomas Cup in Denmark, just not as a player
Now I start a new life here in Hillerød where I also bought my house 1 year ago.
@lokalbolighillerod sold me the house and now I will actually start my new career with them. I believe I fit in perfectly in their team and hopefully I will help a lot of people in Hillerød during the next many years.
From now on most posts will be in Danish and about my new life in the real estate business.
Thanks again for EVERYTHING!! So many incredible memories that I will never ever forget😢😊#retirement #thanks #support #newstyle # @ Hillerød”

According to Denmark media, Petersen had already started thinking about retiring from badminton since January of 2020, but the coronavirus pandemic has speeded up the process a bit where he felt that this was the right time to try something different.

“I do not know what the situation would look like in October after the Thomas Cup due to the coronavirus pandemic. I am really looking forward to officially starting my new job on June 1st. It’s going to be a little different compared to traveling for 130 days every year due to competing at international tournaments,” said Petersen to Denmark media.

Before partnering with Mathias Boe, Petersen was paired with Mads Pieler Kolding. Through their partnership, they won the European Championships gold in 2016, silver in 2018, 2017 and 2014. They also won second place at some of the world’s biggest tournaments such as the 2017 Hong Kong Open, 2015 French Open, and the 2015 India Open.

He and Mads Pieler Kolding have reached the World No. 4 ranking on 14 May 2018.

The 32-year-old was also part of the historic Thomas Cup team, which won the prestigious men’s team event in 2016. He played five of six matches including the final, where he and Kolding lost to Indonesia’s Indonesia Mohammad Ahsan/Hendra Setiawan 18-21, 13-21, before Jan Jorgensen, and Hans-Kristian Vittinghus claimed their respective matches to win the Thomas Cup trophy for Denmark.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here