After easing into the third round of China Open with a two-set (21-16, 21-15) defeat of Hong Kong’s Wong Wing Ki in Shanghai on Thursday night, four-time badminton world champion Lin Dan of China dispelled speculation over his possible withdrawal from the tournament like he did here last year.
"I’ve hardly taken a break since French Open (in early November). I took part in a series of events held by the sponsors. Then I went to Dongguan and Hong Kong. I’m definitely tired. But I will not withdraw this time. I quit last year because I was coming off the Asian Games and hadn’t adjusted my condition to it."
About his win in two straight sets, he said, "I played well in many aspects of the game, like in the opening of both sets, especially building an 8-2 lead in the first one."
"But he managed to catch up as I relaxed my vigilance a little bit."
He gives credit to Wong, who stunned Super Dan at the Denmark Open in October.
"He played terrific in Denmark, beating me and Lee Hyun-Il. And he has been called Hong Kong’s Golden Boy. I feel great to play against him." Asked about his No 3 Olympic ranking, Lin replied with a smile.
"It depends on where my sponsors want me to be. If they need me to become No 1 in the ranking, then I’ll go for it," he said.
As for the object of his thanks on Thanksgiving Day, he said his parents deserved it most: "father and mother, my family for their unselfish love. Also my fans."