BAM move quickly to resolve issue of Aik Mong’s resignation (pic)
Written by Badminton News
Wednesday, 25 September 2013 14:02
PETALING JAYA: The Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) have moved quickly to resolve the issue of Tan Aik Mong’s resignation as the Talent Management Group (TMG) director.
In a short and abrupt press conference at the Juara Stadium on Wednesday, BAM president Tengku Tan Sri Mahaleel Tengku Ariff announced that “the case is now closed”.
The 63-year-old Aik Mong was brought in by Tengku Mahaleel on a voluntary basis on Sept 7 to implement changes and revive Malaysia’s badminton fortunes.
But his methods and ideas were deemed too drastic and caused dissension among the coaches and players. Aik Mong subsequently resigned from his position on Tuesday after BAM reverted all his changes to their original structure.
“We have received Aik Mong’s resignation. We have accepted it and the case is now closed,” said Tengku Mahaleel.
“As for Razif Sidek, he remains committed to the BAM. He will carry on as an assessor and there will not be much changes. For now, I will oversee the TMG alongside Dr Koay (Ban Hing).”
The 66-year-old Tengku Mahaleel added that former doubles chief coach Tan Kim Her, previously an assistant to Aik Mong, would only continue his role as an assessor.
On former national coach Rashid Sidek’s alleged breach of contract, Tengku Mahaleel said: “National coach Tey Seu Bock has submitted a letter explaining their involvements in the Indian Badminton League (IBL). It was a two-week contract. Rashid has also submitted his letter. This case is closed too.”
Rashid quit the BAM last Thursday, citing the uncomfortable working environment in the BAM. Rashid, however, has since expressed his desire to return as national coach.
Tengku Mahaleel, however, was non-committal.
“Whether Rashid returns or not, that is a different story,” he said.
Tengku Mahaleel also made a surprising change, beefing up security measures at the national team’s training venue at Juara Stadium.
In a statement, the BAM said all visitors to the stadium must now register at the main door and state their purpose of the visit before being issued a security pass.
The BAM have also decided to curtain the media’s free access to the stadium. Reporters are now only allowed into the stadium on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays.