KUALA LUMPUR: At an interview before the All England tournament this year, Lee Chong Wei responded to a reporter from China that he will most likely continue to play until 2016 Olympic.
You can watch the interview at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcYzBJWrkIc
At last week's India Open, when Lee Chong Wei was asked whether he will play at the 2016 Rio de Janeiro Olympics, he said, if he is injury free this year, then, he will go for the 2016 Olympic.
And today, Lee Chong Wei is once again shows his strong intention to play until the 2016 Olympic.
Chong Wei said: “The Sports Minister is very supportive of me because I am still capable of winning tournaments and has asked me to play until the 2016 Olympic. I agreed and gave him my word to keep on playing,” said Chong Wei, who met Khairy before Indian Open.
“I will focus on Thomas Cup Finals, Commonwealth Games, World Championships and Asian Games this year. I will try my best to hang on for another two years,” he said.
If you still remember, earlier this year, Chong Wei shocked the badminton community by saying he will quit badminton by the end of the year.
“Right now, I am really enjoying badminton. In India Open final, I was so calm, and was able to read Chen Long’s move and played very effectively to counter his attacks. It really boosted my self-confidence,” he said.
Chong Wei and six Malaysian independent shuttlers – former world junior champion Zulfadli Zulkiffli, 2012 national champion Misbun Ramdan Misbun, Tan Chun Seang, Mohd Arif Abdul Latif, Kuan Beng Hong and Chiang Jiann Shiarng will compete in the Singapore Open, which starts this Wednesday.
The other elite players in the tournament are, Tommy Sugiarto of Indonesia (3rd), Boonsak Ponsana of Thailand (4th), Du Pengyu of China (5th), Son Wan-ho of South Korea (6th), Nguyen Tien Minh of Vietnam (7th) and Kento Momota of Japan (8th).