Jakarta: The President of Indonesia, Joko Widodo, welcomed athletes who competed in the Tokyo Olympics at the Bogor Palace, West Java, on Friday, August 13, and presented prize money to those athletes who participated at the Tokyo Games.
President Widodo rewarded Greysia Polii/Apriyani Rahayu USD $382,908 (Rp 5.5 billion) for winning gold medal at the Games, USD $174,049 (Rp 2.5 billion) for silver medalists, and USD $104,429 (Rp 1.5 billion) for bronze medalists.
“The Indonesian government would like to reward you in the form of bonuses for your achievements. Rp 5.5 billion for gold medalists, Rp2.5 billion for silver medalists, and Rp1.5 billion for bronze medalists,” said the President.
Bonuses were also given to coaches and other athletes who participated in the 2020 Tokyo Olympics but did not bring home medals.
“Hopefully your achievements today can become inspirations and motivation for all of our athletes. Your achievement would encourage them to keep working hard, continue to excel, and give the best for the nation and country,” added Widodo.
Besides Polii/Rahayu, Widodo also presented the prize money to weightlifter Eko Yuli Irawan who won silver in the men’s 61 kilograms category. Badminton player, Anthony Sinisuka Ginting, weightlifter Windy Cantika Aisah in the women’s 49-kilogram category, weightlifter Rahmat Abdullah in the men’s 73-kilogram also received bonuses for winning the Olympics bronze medals.
The President also partnered with Greysia Polii, playing a badminton game against Rahayu/Ginting. Widodo was very skillful at playing badminton.
Below is a list of the bonuses for Indonesian athletes and coaches who participated at the Tokyo 2020 Olympics:
1. Athletes who won gold medals: Rp 5.5 billion (USD $382,908)
2. Athletes who won silver medals: Rp 2.5 billion (USD $174,049)
3. Athletes who won bronze medals: Rp 1.5 billion (USD $104,429)
4. Athletes who didn’t win any medal: Rp 100 million (USD $6961)
5. Coach with athletes who won gold medal: Rp 2.5 billion (USD $174,049)
6. Coach with athletes who won silver medal: Rp 1 billion (USD $69,619)
7. Coach with athletes who won the bronze medal: Rp 600 million (USD $41,771)
8. Coach with athletes who didn’t win any medal: Rp 100 million (USD $6961)