Kuala Lumpur: Without the presence of Datuk Lee Chong Wei, who is still under temporary suspension, the 2015 Malaysian Open Badminton Championships may lose its lustre and excitement.
Chong Wei is a legend of the tournament after having won the title 10 times, Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) deputy president Datuk Seri Mohamad Norza Zakaria said.
“As the organiser, we hope to find a solution and this is the opportunity for the current batch to show their ability and continue Chong Wei’s feats at the Malaysian Open championship.
“Whether it is from the singles or doubles players, we hope they can mesmerise the crowd like Chong Wei,” he told reporters after the 2014 Sportswriters Association of Malaysia (SAM)-100 PLUS award presentation ceremony here today.
The championships will be held from March 31 to April 5 at the Putra Indoor Stadium in Bukit Jalil here.
Mohamad Norza hoped national doubles pair Goh V Shem and Tan Wee Keong, who have shown promise in several tournaments of late, would prove their mettle.
Chong Wei was suspended by the Badminton World Federation (BWF) after he was found positive for a prohibited substance in a random urine test at the World Championships in Copenhagen last year.
BWF has set April 11 to hear the doping case of the national badminton champion in Amsterdam. Commenting on preparations for the hearing, Mohamad Norza said: “We are all ready for April 11. I have informed Chong Wei and our lawyer to focus on the hearing process. And we hope for the best.” — Bernama