Kuala Lumpur: After skipping this week’s China Open Superseries, World No. 1 men’s singles player Lee Chong Wei has also decided to withdraw from the Hong Kong Open which is set to kick off at the Coliseum in Hung Hom on November 22.
The Malaysian badminton superstar suffered a shocking defeat in the quarter-finals of Denmark Open last month after a three-sets loss to Brice Leverdez of France 17-21, 22-20, 19-21 in 77 minutes. Lee was then diagnosed with a hamstring injury, and was forced to pull out from the French Open.
“In addition to his hamstring injury, Lee is also having a fever right now,” said Hendrawan, Lee’s coach.
“He has to pull out from Hong Kong Open, because we do not think it’s a good idea for him to compete when he is not in good condition for playing badminton,” added Hendrawan.
“However, it is still possible for him to qualify for the Dubai World Superseries Finals, it really depends on how other players fare,” replied Hendrawan.
Lee is currently fifth in the Destination Dubai Rankings with 43,510 points. Only the top eight players or pairs in the Super Series rankings after the final Super Series tournament, are eligible to participate.
When asked about this issue, Hong Kong Badminton Association told reporters that they hadn’t received any notification about Lee’s withdrawal.
“We are aware of his injury problems, and if he can’t make it, we will replace him with the next highest ranked qualifier.”
According to the rankings in the qualifying round, Ihsan Maulana Mustofa of Indonesia will be selected to fill Lee’s vacancy.