London: Badminton Europe and Badminton England are delighted to announce that Milton Keynes will be the hosting city of the 2021 European Mixed Team Championships.
For the first time since 2009, that the European Mixed Team Championships will be back on English soil. In 2009 Liverpool hosted the event, while the 2021 edition of the eight-team setup will be hosted in the home of English badminton.
The Championships will be revolutionary, as for the first time one of Badminton Europe’s major events will not be taking place in a sporting venue.
In Milton Keynes, the centre:mk will host the two-court setup, with a 1,600-capacity arena being built in Middleton Hall, next to cafes and high street shops.
– We look forward to welcoming fans from across Europe to one of the UK’s badminton hotbeds, said Adrian Christy, Badminton England Chief Executive.
– Apart from seeing the very best badminton in Europe, fans of all ages can be assured of a warm welcome, and an amazing visit, to the home of English badminton, the GB Olympic programme and the National Badminton Museum, he added.
– Players, fans, officials and the millions watching at home across Europe and the rest of the world will experience a unique and exciting event that will be remembered for a very long time.
centre: mk is one of the UK’s biggest shopping malls and is expected to welcome more than 500,000 visitors during the week of the Championships, and General Secretary of Badminton Europe, Brian Agerbak, is looking forward to welcoming people to a new experience within the sport of badminton.
– It is something brand new that we have not seen on this level before. It is an amazing opportunity to promote the very best of our sport, and I am sure that this event will be one to remember, Agerbak said.
– My expectations are high. It is the best teams in Europe attending, and Badminton England is known for their skills to organise the biggest tournament in the world. I am very much looking forward to February 2021.
Badminton Europe President, Peter Tarcala, is looking forward to go to England in 2021:
– I am very happy that we once again can take one of our major events to England. Badminton England knows how to host the biggest events, and I am pleased that the best European teams are going to compete in a country with such strong traditions within our sport.
The 2021 European Mixed Team Championships will take place from the 17-21 February 2021.
The qualification for the event will take place in December 2020, where five to six different locations will be hosting the qualification stage.
The host, England, and the holders, Denmark, are already guaranteed qualification for the final in Milton Keynes.
The European Mixed Team Championships in the UK:
1978 (Preston) – Winner: England
1992 (Glasgow) – Winner: Sweden
2000 (Glasgow) – Winner: Denmark
2009 (Liverpool) – Winner: Denmark
(source: Badminton Europe)