Latest Badminton News and Articles

Kwong Beng holds the key to reviving his career (pic)

1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
Category: Badminton News Published: 31 August 2012
Written by BadmintonPlanet.com Hits: 486

KUALA LUMPUR: National chief coach Rashid Sidek has advised back-up shuttler Chan Kwong Beng to help himself first if he harbours hopes of reviving his flagging badminton career.

Rashid said that he did not stop Kwong Beng from turning to Hendrawan for help but “I told him that the change must start from himself”.

“I also advised him to be more committed in training,” said Rashid.A coach contributes 20% to the rise of a player, the other 80% is all down to the players’ hard work, sacrifices and commitment. - RASHID SIDEK

On Wednesday, the 24-year-old Kwong Beng said that his progress had stagnated over the last two years under Rashid and he wanted to train under Hendrawan in a bid to re-ignite his career.

Besides Kwong Beng, Rashid had also focused more on Liew Daren and Chong Wei Feng during training.

All three have also been sparring daily with world No. 2 Lee Chong Wei at the national centre.

“Even a good coach cannot guarantee an athlete’s success unless the player does his part. A coach contributes 20% to the rise of a player, the other 80% is all down to the players’ hard work, sacrifices and commitment,” said Rashid.

“Yes, Kwong Beng told me that he wanted a change. I have no objection but this decision must be approved and supported by the CNT (coaching and training committee, which will meet on Sept 8).

“I explained to him that changing coaches is not the only way out.

“He has to change his own ways too – even under Hendrawan. He must be ready to go the extra mile. Even a short training session can be effective if the shuttler trains properly.”

Rashid, the country’s former top men’s singles shuttler, said that Chong Wei was the perfect role model for younger players and is disappointed that the back-up shuttlers are not making full use of the world No. 2’s experience.

“Who will benefit most if they train regularly with Chong Wei? It is the back-up players. Chong Wei gives his all in training ... that’s why he is the most consistent player in the world,” said Rashid.

“Chong Wei also motivates the players during training but a change will not take place unless the players are willing to push themselves to the limit in training.

“Chong Wei has a soft spot for Kwong Beng. Chong Wei even selected Kwong Beng to spar with him during the London Olympic Games.

“It is a joy for coaches when they see their players making giant strides in their careers. It gives us even greater joy when a player takes his own initiative to improve himself.”

  • No comments found

Facebook

Twitter

Google Plus

Replays: Chinese Taipei 2014

playbutton-2014-square-chinese-taipei-open
Watch Replays
  • Recent News
  • Popular
Glasgow 2014: Malaysia survives Singapore's rally to reach final

Glasgow: Defending champions Malaysia reached the Commonweal

Glasgow 2014: England vs Malaysia in the mixed team final

Glasgow: England will face Malaysia in the badminton mixed t

Glasgow 2014: Malaysia defeat Scotland 3-1

Glasgow: Defending champions Malaysia suffered a scare befor

Thomas Cup Final: Congratulations to Japan, thanks to Malaysia

New Delhi: In one of the classic Thomas Cup Final of the pas

Lee Chong Wei wins 2013 BWF Male Player of the Year

New Delhi: Lee Chong Wei was named the BWF Male Player of th

Possible Lee Chong Wei vs. Lin Dan showdown in Japan Open

Kuala Lumpur: Lin Dan will have to qualify to play in the ma

Recommended Videos

  • 2013 Indonesia Open - Badminton Videos
  • 2014 India Open - Badminton Videos
  • 2013 Denmark Open - Badminton Videos
  • 2014 All England - Badminton Videos
  • 2014 Singapore Open - Badminton Videos
  • 2013 India Open - Badminton Videos
  • 2013 World Superseries Finals - Badminton Videos
  • 2013 World Championships - Badminton Videos
  • 2013 Japan Open - Badminton Videos
  • 2013 Hong Kong Open - Badminton Videos
  • 2014 Korea Open - Badminton Videos
  • 2014 Malaysia Open - Badminton Videos
Previous Next